a busy mama's diary to inspire

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

crockpot chicken tostadas

I LOOOOOVE crockpot meals. I love how they fill the house with yummy aromas. I love how they are done when you walk in the door. I love how they make my crazy life a little less....crazy :) So, this winter I am going to try to do many more than my usual go-to healthy recipes.  This one was just so yummy I had to share! It's really just a little twist on the usual taco, but it was a hit. The kids love this too because they can build their own with their favorite toppings.

First of all, I cut up strips of chicken (about 5 or so breasts) and threw them in the crock pot with 2 low sodium taco seasoning packets, and sprinkled about a tablespoon of minced onion on them. (low setting for about 6 hours)
These flaxseed and blue corn tortillas are so yummy! (found them at Target. where else?) I baked them for 8-10 min at 350 degrees or until lightly browned.
Then I used a slotted spoon to top each tostada with the chicken.

Next, I layered it with our favorite toppings:
cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, avocado, black beans, light sour cream or plain greek yogurt and taco sauce. (great served with corn bread and honey butter!) Hope you enjoy! :) I even got a thumbs up on this one and was asked to make this one every night for dinner! ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment